For those of you seeking employment, the internet is a great tool for searching job listings. If you come across a company you are unfamiliar with, it’s important to do your research on how credible this company is before you give out any personal information.
Doing your homework on a company can include:
• Checking with www.bbb.org and other trusted sites
• Googling the company name plus the word “scam”
• Verifying with the IRS, and the Secretary of State where the business is located
• Asking your state Attorney General’s office if the business is on their radar for any reason
• Searching the Internet for the company’s physical location or checking with the Post Office to see if this is a legitimate address
• Never click on a link from an unknown sender, and never give out your personal information to strangers unless you can verify their legitimacy
If you take these steps and find that you are dealing with a legitimate company, then you can proceed with the application process. However, if the company turns out to be a scam, you’ll be happy you did your homework and avoided wasting your time, and potentially having your identity stolen.